Monday, July 28, 2008

The Addiction

"I'm done!" I exclaimed as I clumsily tried sitting up on the couch yesterday afternoon. (My bottom was still sore from earlier week events). I closed the book thinking I would be okay. As I sat up, something caught the attention of my eye. It was a bookshelf. And on the top of that bookshelf, there were three books that particularly had my interest. The first one looked exactly like the one I had in my hand, but the other two...oh the other two. I thought I could resist. I thought that I was strong. Turns out, I'm not as strong as I thought I was. :) That's right...I have recently become addicted to the thing my friend, Joyce, refers to as 'crack for girls:' the Twilight books. I started reading them upon request from a couple of friends. Emily said that I would love them but that I should probably wait until summer because I'd want to read them all the way through without stopping. I thought that was absurd. The only books I ever do that with are Harry Potter (for obvious reasons). And Beth wanted my opinion on them as she, too, has grown to love the books as well. I had heard a little about these books and something about the idea of a stalkerish vampire dude as the main heart throb of the story didn't seem to catch my attention. I admit...I made fun of people like me before. Saying things like, 'wow...really? What's so great about a creepy vampire? He can't be THAT irresistible.' I was wrong. Not only does he have me completely mesmerized, but I'm having a hard time putting the second book down. The fourth (and final) book comes out on Friday, so I'm pretty pleased with the timing :) This way I don't have to wait to see what happens. I heard the 3rd book is a real doozey. I got about 120 pages in to the second book before I had to high tail it off to ward prayer followed by Disney night, so I didn't get that far in to it, but I definitely cried at the beginning. I know, I know...you can go ahead and stamp 'LOSER' across my forehead. I don't care.... I've heard it gets better after about 3 more chapters or so, but I'm having a hard time reading it cuz its bumming me out. If anyone is familiar with the Friends episode where Joey reads Little Women and has to put the book in the freezer when Beth is getting sick and he's afraid she's going to die...yeah, I contemplated the freezer option a couple of times yesterday, but luckily, I never got to that point.

In happier news, I sat all through church yesterday...with the help of my bean bag pillow. I thought I could be strong today and not use my pillow at work. I probably should have thought that one out a little better though as I have only been here for about 20 minutes and it's already pretty sore. I still can't wear things with thick/tighter waistbands. Jeans are definitely out of the question, as are my work pants. I've usually just been wearing PJ pants wherever I go, but that wasn't going to fly for work. It's a good thing I have skirts that are a little loose! :) Anyway, my boss just came back from a conference in DC so I have some budgeting that I need to get done before I can start reading with a clear conscience, so I'm gonna head out and try to get through these next few chapters. Have a great one! XOXO

4 comments:

Zarah said...

For Ashton's birthday, I bought him Twilight on audio and we've been listening to it every day. Thankfully, he put it on his ipod so I can steal the CDs. It's worked out pretty well and we'll have to buy the second one pretty soon!

Kiera said...

I love those books too. I am waiting on the next one to come out, but I might start reading the one she wrote called "The Host". I have heard it is pretty good.

Meredith said...

I read a book once....

JA and co. said...

As cute as the little love story is in those books, I LOVE the Cullens. They're the absolute epitome of people who have to work against the hand they've been dealt every day just to be 'good'. Can you tell I read this for book club? The deep stuff intrigues me :). Hope your battle wounds get better soon!