Thursday, August 14, 2008

Crying for Potato Salad

I remember thinking yesterday, as I was leaving work, that I would have a lot to write about on my blog today, however, I can't remember anything that I was so excited to let the world know...hmmm. Must not have been that exciting. :)

On to less exciting things: we had a potluck lunch yesterday since Isaac, Julie and Mike are all leaving and, like everyone else, they requested that I bring my potato salad. 5 times in two months...that's gotta be a record. Anyway, I knew it would be a cooking experience like none other for one reason: onions make me cry....a lot. Now, I'm usually used to that, so why was it different than usual, you ask? Well, I always cut up the green onions first, as a kind of preparation exercise to get ready for the big onion. I can handle green onions...they're weak sauce compared to the real thing. So, I pull them out and as I'm cutting them, I notice my eyes starting to burn. I shook it off...thinking I was just psyching myself out for what was to come. Nope...I cried like a baby. Naturally, I was nervous about continuing forward. If green onions were effecting me this way today, what was the regular onion going to do to me? I kept hoping that maybe, just maybe, they would've switched potency's for one day. All I have to say to that is....HA! Right...like I would ever be that lucky. haha. So, I bust out the onion, and I kid you not, I had to stop every 15 seconds (if not less than that) to walk away and wipe off my face. It was drenched. I don't think I've ever cried that much from an onion before. It was bad. I was glad no one walked in to see me. I can only imagine what would be going through their minds. Using the, "I was cutting an onion" bit is classic 'me.' I don't like people to know when I'm crying so I try to use excuses like that to deter those who catch me in the act. Sadly, my friends have grown to expect me to do something like pulling out an onion to make my story plausible. Unfortunately, most of them know that I'm usually full of crap and just don't want to admit that I'd been crying. However, this time was legit. haha. I was scratching under my nose today (almost 3 days later) and they still smell like onions. Those bad boys were potent! My friend, Steve, told me yesterday that if you put them in the fridge, they don't make you cry as much when you cut them. That woulda been nice to know before hand, buddy. hahaha jk.

The days are winding down to when I move into my new apartment! WAHOO! I'm getting really excited. I moved a BUNCH of stuff over yesterday so I don't have as much to do on Saturday morning and there was a little note on the fridge from our new roommates. They have been moving stuff over also and they seem really nice. They aren't the same girls that Carrol (our manager) said that they would be, so no Buddhist roommates this year...kinda bummed cuz it woulda been awesome, but they seem really sweet and fun from their note, so it should be a good year.

Highlight of yesterday: I talked to Meredith on the phone yesterday and about 5 minutes after we hung up, my phone rings. This time it's Sydney and she proceeded to tell me all about her new "big girl shower" that she got and how excited she was about it. It was the cutest thing ever. I love it when that girl calls...whenever its her, she usually has a mouthful to say. I'll never forget that one day before the recital...she seriously kept calling me over and over again. I was trying to find something for my mom at the store and so trying to carry on a conversation with a 3 year old and a store clerk was very interesting. I kept saying, 'okay Syd, I have to go really quick, but I promise, I'll call you back as soon as I can okay?' Then she would say okay and we'd hang up and like 20 seconds later she'd be calling again to talk. haha. So cute and SO funny. Finally Meredith called, giggling to herself and saying, 'sorry...but it was just so funny!' hahaha. good times. Gotta love the nieces. I dunno what I'd do without either of them. Syd and I have so much fun together...she's my little shadow (or appendage...whichever you prefer) and it couldn't be more fun! And Malla and I have the cool 'you look so much like me, its starting to scare me' thing going on. It's great. There's nothing that can beat that little smile of hers! My family is just too awesome! Love y'all bad!

1 comment:

{B}dreamy said...

I'm not alone!!! Seriously, onions make me bawl. But, have you ever taken a huge bite out of one on a dare?! I don't recommend it... *B