Friday, September 12, 2008

R.I.P. Cumby the Fish

That's right, my dear fish has finally passed on to greater places. He was the first pet that I've had longer than a week. :) The last two years have definitely been great. I remember the day I first brought Cumby home with me. We had just moved into our new apartment in Sparks and thought a fish would liven things up a little. Cumby and I had some great times together. And so, my friend...here's a tribute to you, wherever fish heaven may be:

Memories of Cummerbund aka "Cumby" the Beta Fish:

-Whenever I was feeling playful, I would stick my finger in the bowl and mess with him. It was great times. He'd attack my finger or just swim away from it. But it was definitely fun. We bonded so many times.

-After many trial and error sessions of changing the water in his bowl, he learned to accept his fate and just let me scoop him up. It was almost like I had taught him to swim right into the measuring cup which served as his transportation from bowl to temporary pool, so many times. such an intelligent fish.

-When I first got Cumby, I bought these plastic, pink leafy things to put in his bowl. He started being less playful about a month later and I realized that it must have been because his bowl decorations were far too girly for the likes of a stud like him. So, I bought a cool rock thing. Much more manly and hardcore. After I made the switch, he was happy.

-He almost died two Christmas's ago. We had a hole in the wall of our kitchen during an extremely cold winter. His water was far too cold, but he was a tough fish and stuck through the hard times.

-Cumby put up with me transporting him everywhere. When I'd leave to go home for Christmas and he was babysat by others such as Zarah and Ashton or Drew, he was such a great sport. Water would splash and everything would be a total disarray, but he knew that I had his best interest at heart. What a great fish.

-He also put up with our rantings and ravings. When we'd watch Smallville or other intense TV shows, sometimes people would throw things like flip flops at the TV. Occasionally, they would miss and hit Cumby's bowl. He never complained once. A true gem, I'd say.

-He had a great attitude whenever we had a flood in our apartment...although, that makes sense.

-He even put up with our joking that he couldn't die even if we wanted him to (which we never WANTED him to, but you know)...we'd always joke that we'd have to save Pierre (my papasan chair) in the event of a fire, but if we left Cumby and Denzel (Emily and Jen's goldfish), they would be just fine because they were invisible. I guess we were wrong...

So there you have it...my fondest memories of Cumby. I admit, I teared up a little bit. We're holding funeral services tomorrow morning so as to avoid the stink. We're thinking either viking or traditional toilet flush. We're not sure yet. Please feel free to leave your condolences as comments. Cumby, I raise my glass to you...you were the best fish a girl could ever have and I'm glad I got to spend some of your last moments here, with you. You will be greatly missed.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Bandaid you are HILARIOUS! Ben and I are totally laughing out loud at this - mostly that you have THAT much to say about a fish, I mean really! :) My favorite entry was the one about his good attitude during the flood, hee hee I am still laughing about it! You are silly, Ben is leaving you creepy messages right now by the way...

{B}dreamy said...

I buried my Fredericko near a tree that overlooked my apartment at the time. I even had a rock marking his place of rest... *B

Ashton Halladay said...

Sorry I missed the funeral. I'm going to miss Cumby. He was definitely a great fish and he will be missed.