Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Here's to Regina!

Holla!!! Today’s post will be a tribute to my car. Yes, that’s right...my other half…where one is, there you shall also find the other. I remember the first time I ever got hit, I called my mom and I was crying…not because I was hurt (which I was, a little bit) but because my car was hurting. Haha. All I kept saying was “MY CAR!!!” lol…my mom was like, “seriously…ARE YOU OKAY? I DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR CAR!” haha. Good times. My friends nicknamed her in high school. I usually stopped to pick up my friend Allie after seminary so we’d ride together and at one point, they were doing construction on the main street to our high school. It was called Beach Street, however, they spelled it Bech on the signs…it was great. So, that’s what Allie calls her. Although, ever since I’ve had her, I’ve called her Regina. Sometimes “Reggie” for short if she needs some encouragement. Usually when I’m trying to drive up really steep hills or driving from Texas to Utah with four people and all of their luggage in her. She struggles sometimes. But give her a break…she’s a 99 Corolla. She’s not really built for that sort of thing. :)

So, the realization of winter finally hit this morning. It’s funny because during the afternoon, it has actually been pretty warm. I didn’t even wear a jacket yesterday. *gasps* However, in the mornings, it proves that Winter is alive and coming. Let me explain. Fact: My car is ghetto. Maybe not exactly “to the max” like it could be, but there are definitely characteristics about her that earn her the title. Its things like these that I’m about to mention, that make me love her so darn much. Haha. So, among other things, when it’s cold, she just kinda breaks down. I choose to feel that this is because we have a kindred connection together and when I’m cold, I usually break too…just not in the same way, obviously. Lol (By the way, for those of you who haven’t guessed already, I absolutely LOVE my car…we’ve been through a lot together) :) So anyway, one of my favorite things about my baby on wheels is that when it gets really cold and I try to get in and it hasn’t warmed up at all outside, the driver’s side door doesn’t work without some coaxing on my part. Luckily, I’ve learned how to convince it to work for the most part, but usually, not without a fight. For starters, the lock doesn’t work. It just stays locked no matter how hard I turn that key. I’ve learned ways to get past this…like crawling in through the passenger side door. The best is, when it’s cold outside, if you lock the door from the inside, you can’t unlock it without rolling down the window and doing it from the outside. It’s freakin awesome. Haha. My boss has pulled into the parking lot for the last two days when I’ve been unlocking my car on the outside while I’m in it. It’s great. She just kinda looks at me like…well…that’s Tara…I’m not really surprised. Hahaha. Love it. So, why do I lock it when I get in, you ask? If by chance I can get in through the driver’s side (it hasn’t been cold enough yet for me to not be able to jimmy my way in), usually, the door won’t stay closed. I pull it shut and it just bounces back open. The only way to keep it shut is to either hold it there (not the safest of options) or to lock it and then shut it. It’s amazing. I’ve taken it into the dealership multiple times to see if the Toyota people can fix it, and they do some things that fix it for, oh…20 minutes. Haha. It’s great. I love a car with personality. I can tell you what every scratch is from, every dent and where every missing piece of the weather stripping is that has melted off. Haha Oh and to add to that personality…I goofed about 3 weeks ago and drove off from the gas station without putting the gas cap back on *embarrassed* and so I had to buy a new one right? Since she’s a little bit older of a car…they only had bright red ones. Haha. So, now I have this awesomely large, red gas cap on the side of my car. It’ll just look more festive around Christmas and Valentine’s Day. Don’t be jealous. Maybe one day, you’ll get a red gas cap too.

Anyway, I guess what I’m trying to say, is…I love my car! Probably a little bit more than I should, but I don’t care. She brings me much joy :) So Reggie…here’s to you, sister!

3 comments:

Jen Bowen said...

This reminds me of how people always seem to want to share food with Reggie: eggs, gummy bears, eggplants, and if your car was more like Edward...Laura's blood. Ah the memories of your car. I'm glad you've figured out how to work with her quirks! Miss you! We still need to double sometime soon.

Tara said...

hahah oh yes...nothing was better than when y'all eggplanted my car. eric was like ummm what's all over your car? hahaha. Love it. Although, having Laura's blood on the seatbelt of the passenger side makes a great conversation when someone is riding with me that hasn't before. haha. Love, love, love it! XOXO

Kiera said...

You are funny! I need to learn to look at my car in the same way you do, and then I won't get as frustrated when it breaks on me!!