Monday, May 12, 2008

Adventures in Seattle and a Tribute to Michael

So, I went back to the land where I originally hail from...Seattle. It was my first time to be back in about 13 years so it was definitely a shock to see how everything has changed. I didn't really recognize much until we got to our neighborhood and then it all came flooding back. It was a lot of fun to walk around my old house and elementary school. I got to take pictures which was good...gotta lock in the memories!

The main reason that I was there was for my roommates wedding. Yup...this is number 5 for me...everyone keeps asking me if I'll have all 27 dresses soon. lol. I sure hope not! Woo...5 has been fun but I don't think I could handle 27! Anyway, it was a fun trip...not much sleep as you can imagine though. If we weren't driving at night, then I was laying awake with Laura talking to her until one of us fell asleep. Needless to say that I feel a lot better today after getting about 6 hours of sleep last night! WAHOO! :) Good times. I will admit though...this one was definitely the hardest wedding I've been at so far for me. They are usually hard anyway...knowing that another of my roommates or really close friends has bit the dust and I'm now one more roommate short of living with 18 year olds. haha. This one was different though...not only was it my last friend from Freshman year that I've lived with pretty much all of my college years, but it also means that I was the only one waiting in the waiting room at the temple with all the kids. Having to watch all of my friends walk past me to go into the temple was really hard for me. I know that it's pretty much all of the darn Provo culture that says, if you aren't married by 21, there is something wrong with you...and I couldn't be happier, but I can't deny that there have been many nights when I wish that things would change in that area for me. Not that I'm complaining or anything, I like where I am right now...I have a lot going for me. I get to be the RS president of my ward which I love, I have a great roommate who is coming back fall semester, I love my job and I'll be graduating in December. I have so many blessings and things to be grateful for, but at times like those, I can't say that I don't struggle a lot. I was doing alright until just about everywhere we went and were introduced to family and friends, it went a little something like this: "This is so-and-so and this is their husband (or wife)...repeat that a couple of times...and this is Tara...she's my old roommate. Now, I know it really doesn't sound that bad, but after spending the last two days with all married couples and smaller kids, it kinda wears on you when your heart already feels broken. Lucky for me, I have great, supportive friends who I couldn't be more grateful for.

When I got back, my friend Michael came over and gave me three of the most therapeutic hugs I think I've ever had! I just love this guy...he has got to be the sweetest guy I've ever met and probably one of the best things that has ever happened to me. He's so great to help me to feel better whenever I'm down. If any of you are familiar with facebook, as soon as I had changed my status to "single" after Trevor and I broke up, I think it was maybe a couple of hours before I got a text message, telling me everything would be alright and then he came over to talk things out...just a great guy! I freakin love you, Michael! Anyway, it was good...I hadn't seen him since February or something...maybe even January except to go to his baseball games n such. When he walked in, he gave me a huge hug and then said..."and one more big one for surviving this weekend!" I think one of the best things about him is that he totally gets where I'm coming from. He's had a LOT of similar experiences as I have...from family stuff, to marrying off roommates, to having roommates start dating people that you would've liked to date...yeah good times. hahaha. All in all, I couldn't ask for a better friend. XOXO

It is an also well known fact that I marry off at LEAST 2 roommates a year if not more. This year has been really good for me...I think my powers are slowly growing...not only did I marry off 3 roommates fall/winter, but we had two new roommates move in about 2 weeks ago and when I got back on Sunday, one of them told me that she got engaged on Friday. hahaha. I don't even need a full semester anymore! I love it. I told Michael that he'd better be careful...since my powers are growing, maybe it'll move out to my close friends! hahah its on guys...you'd better watch out. I'm feeling more powerful by the second! :) Anyway, my work day is almost up so I gotta get goin. I'll try posting pictures tomorrow! Love yall bad! XOXO

3 comments:

Kiera said...

What a great friend to alwaysw be there for you like that!! We are really excited for the dance class!! Can't wait to see you!!

Honeybee said...

So this just makes me miss you more. I will be coming back to provo on Wed. We should get together soon. Can't wait to swap stories! SMILE :)

Amy Pennington said...

hey you...I hear you are in town...can't wait to maybe see ya!