Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Bad Case of the Blues

Yesterday came with quite a frustrating surprise...I remembered that I hadn't heard back from one of the other girls who splits my shift with me at work, and I'm thinkin okay...I have to go into work on Monday.  It would be nice to know when I was supposed to go in, right?  So, I call up there and my boss said those tragic words..."here's the situation..." I could tell from her voice that it wasn't a "good" situation.  So, for safety reasons, I buckled up and prepared for the worst.  She then told me that they just found out from the Dean that it was looking like they couldn't keep me next semester like we'd been planning on since, when was it?  Summer time?  Yup...so around August.  Anyway, she explained to me that they have put new freezes on the hiring system that said if their part or full time employees weren't hired by December 15th, they couldn't be hired for this semester.  Because I'm still 'considered' a student until December 31st, they couldn't hire me as a BYU Faculty member, so I have recently found myself jobless.  Deano called me a bunch yesterday and said that he's going to try to fight it because they don't want to lose me, but for me to not get my hopes up because it doesn't look good.  I spent most of yesterday grouching around and severely freaking out.  Okay, maybe not severely, but still quite worried and not entertaining the best of moods.  

So, I did a little job searching yesterday and submitted my resume to two places, but from Fort Worth, there is only so much I can do until I get back.  I'm not so much worried about making rent or eating for a bit...I have been saving money since I got my first job when I was like 14 or something, and money hasn't really ever been an 'issue'...I've always been a stickler for how much I have in savings...not that it's a substantial amount, but I was kinda hoping that I wouldn't have to dip into it for a while...especially right as I've been released from financial help from the parental unit and no longer have insurance and stuff like that.  I know they'll help me out still if I need it, but I hate depending on them for that sort of thing.  I may just need to suck up my pride though even though I don't want to.  I know this happened for a reason and I'm really trying to find the silver lining...I've found a few but I'm having a hard time being convinced by them at this point.  For example...this way, I can look for a full time job that pays more and I'll be better off and can start out fresh now instead of later...there's somewhere else that I'm supposed to be and new experiences to experience and lessons to learn...I was just hoping to do this whole job searching thing a couple months later than right now.  Like, maybe, when I had a plan of where I was going to move to and not having to worry about finding a job that will give me two weeks off right at the start so I can go to Ireland.  Unless I find something really soon, y'all cant expect cool souvenirs anymore :)...you might just get one of those pencils that says, "My friend went to Ireland and all I got was this stupid pencil" hahahaha.  Suckers. lol jk.  If you can't tell, I don't handle change very well :)  Anyway, I'm done whining...but I still think it completely stinks. haha. A small part of me is excited though...who knows what this will bring?  And the Lord will take care of me...I just hope it doesn't take very long for me to find a job.  Anyway, I hope everyone has a sweet New Year.  We're all going to Babes tonight for dinner and I couldn't be more excited than I am right now!  A perfect pick me up! :)  I heart y'all bad and sorry to be sucha downer today~ xoxo

3 comments:

Zarah said...

That sucks about your job. I'm sure it'll all work out though...it always seems to even when you can't see any possible way out. Let us know if you need anything!

Jen said...

Oh man, that stinks! especially since they JUST told you. bummer. if all else fails, a temporary agency can do wonders while you're looking for a full time job.

JA and co. said...

Bummer! I hate when stuff like that happens (even though what you end up with is almost always better than what you lost). Good luck with job searching! I'll give you another call tomorrow so we can hook up and eat yummy food that will kick up your endorphins :). Love ya'!