Thursday, February 5, 2009

You know you go to BYU when...

Okay, so I was jamming out to my Irish Pandora station at work, and a song came on that I seriously haven’t heard in AGES…Ashokan Farewell. (the new one on my playlist)…My mom and sister used to play it on the piano and flute back in the day and I LOVED it. When I heard it, it reminded me of all the fun times we used to have back when life didn’t seem so busy and/or stressful. It was fun to hear it again and go back to that place! Anyway, that’s really all I have about that…it’s a great song and I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it!

As for today's REAL post...I've decided to compile a list of "You know you go to BYU/live in Provo when..." list. Emily's friends in her class did one kind of similar, only specific to her major and we were laughing our heads off. So here's my feeble attempt to be as truthful as possible. :)

You know you go to BYU/live in Provo when...

1. You leave your apartment and as you are walking across the street, you hope and pray that someone doesn't drive over you with their car...especially if you are riding a bike.

2. You see signs and billboards everywhere for bridal fairs and "Single? Call this number."

3. You've actually thought of calling those numbers...

4. You dread the 5th Sunday because those are the "chastity talk" Sundays from the Bishopric.

5. Sundays, in general, are very busy for you. They usually consist of going to meetings, finishing lessons/talks, going to church, then more meetings, visiting/home teaching, calling family, ward prayer, and some form of tunnel singing/singing hymns in someones apartment.

6. When you leave Provo, you are shocked when you see girls who are dressed immodestly, and people with cigarettes and beer bottles in their hands.

7. Every time you leave your apartment, you always see at least one person running...no matter the time of year.

8. Your friends, who are younger than you, ask you if you can babysit for them sometime that week.

9. Your roommates are confined to their rooms or have to leave the apartment because your visiting/home teachers came over.

10. You know what the phrase "the Spirit goes to bed at midnight" is referring to. You also know that that same said Spirit, goes to bed at 1:30 on Fridays.

11. Your friend comes over and tells you that they NCMOed (non committal make out) with someone, and you are completely shocked that they would do such a thing.

12. The acronym DTR, scares the pants off of you...and you cant help but wish that it stood for "Dell Taco Run."

13. You have to buy your tickets to the dollar theater at least 2 hours in advance on weekends...and you know its smart to go about 45 minutes early so you can sit with whoever you came with.

14. In dance and other exercise classes, everyone is still wearing long shorts and t-shirts even though tank tops with thicker sleeves are actually allowed.

15. You have experienced all new levels of creative dating that you didn't think were possible.

16. The entire ward seems to be in a giant cookie exchange.

17. You have to drive around to find a parking space where your car wont get booted or towed, longer than it took you to actually drive there.

18. You come home after midnight, and find all of the couples standing outside their doors because midnight just isn't late enough...

19. You wish that everything was open until at least midnight, if not longer.

20. You go to the temple and see at least 3 people you know.

21. You see people that you've only seen in the temple before and get weirded out because they are in real clothes.

22. You have to choose which bridal showers, baby showers and wedding receptions you will go to because they are all scheduled on the same day.

23. On the first day of class, you look around the classroom to scope out who you want to sit by, with hopes that they will talk to you and maybe ask you out.

24. You find someone in the said class and realize they are married

25. You come to find that there is ALWAYS someone that knows someone else you know because they served together on their missions.

26. Someone that served in your home ward, while you were going to school, has called you or seen you on campus and asked..."are you so-and-so's daughter? Your mom told me to look you up when I got off my mission..." True story.

Okay, there are plenty more...but this is a pretty good list for now. As funny/strange as it is to live here, I sure love it! :) I'm sure I'll come up with more later, too so keep your eyes peeled. (that expression always used to scare me when I was little...it didn't produce the nicest images in my head. hahaha) I hope everyone has had a WONDERFUL day so far. XOXO

7 comments:

Jen Bowen said...

This really is a weird place isn't it? We all can't wait to leave but will probably really miss it.

Zarah said...

haha Those are so true Tara! I especially liked the one about finding out you have a connection with someone because of someone you knew who served with them. I met a few people who knew my brother because they served with him.

We should play soon!

Meredith said...

THAT is hilarious, oh what a little bubble y'all live in! So funny. Well I am glad you get to come home to real life in a few days, we are excited to see ya! Have a fantastic weekend Doll! (What's DTC? That was the only one I didn't know, or actually maybe I know and it's just not coming to me. LOVE the '5th Sunday' situation too!!!! Totally DON'T miss that!)

JA and co. said...

Love it! Nothing is funnier than the truth, that's for sure.

Marisa said...

Haha Tara those are awesome. And they're all so true!!

Jen said...

21. You see people that you've only seen in the temple before and get weirded out because they are in real clothes.... TRUE. Me and the guy just looked at each other and I had no idea what to say, so we just nodded and were quiet... like in the temple. :)

Honeybee said...

LOVE IT. I want to get out, but I will miss it, true story. I am in New Mexico this week and was totally shocked that girls were dressed immodest! And people smoking always makes me cough now. Good times at BYU. :)